Volunteer and Mission Opportunities for High Streeters!
“If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” 1 John 3:17-18 (NIV)
The HSUMC Missions Committee has selected three areas of focus for the next several months—two that are time or season related and one that reflects an on-going and growing need. (We also mention a couple of on-going, in-church mission activities and needs at the bottom of this announcement.) We are confident there is an opportunity to fit each person—no matter your age, gifts, or skill levels! Pray about it, and consider the many blessings we share. Let’s join together in mission—it is our calling, and the needs are great. Also visit our bulletin board in the church parlor area.
Food Related Projects Contact Karen Howells for more information: (765) 759-6026; email@example.com
- Edible Muncie is working toward eliminating food insecurity and food deserts (places marked by a lack of available, good-quality food). Helping hands are needed at food pantries distributing food, working in community produce gardens, and distributing information at health fairs.
- Harvest Soup Kitchen serves meals Monday through Friday from 9:30 to 11 am. You can volunteer to prepare meal, serve meals, and clean up after meals. Additionally, you can help prepare sack lunches to send home with those who are served.
- Second Harvest Food Bank welcomes volunteers Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. (You may choose when and how long you want to volunteer.) Volunteers help sort and bag produce, check freshness dates, assist with minor office tasks, and distribute food at the tailgate gathering on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month from 9 to 11 am.
- Fresh Directions prepares hot meals for children in after-school programs. (The organization prepared 68,000 meals during 2015—what an unbelievable need!) Volunteers prepare meals Monday – Friday for 2 to 3 hours, or they deliver meals to partner organizations Monday – Friday for approximately 30 minutes.
- HSUMC Food Pantry offers two convenient ways to help: Donate food in the boxes at the two main entryways (requests for specific food items are posted around the church, but all donations are welcomed) OR Donate your time either as a scheduled volunteer (shopping, packing bags, distributing food, or cleaning) or as an occasional sub or guest helper.
Construction and Repair Related Projects Contact Jerry McNary for more information: (765) 209-0222; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Habitat for Humanity works to provide safe and affordable housing—each new homeowner participates in the build (sweat equity) and takes basic homeowner classes. There is a job for everyone no matter your skill level.
Sign up for 2017 High St. UMC Week with Habitat, Monday, June 26th through Thursday, June 29th.
Join us as we serve our community. More information soon.
- Home Savers (formerly Delaware County Rebuild) makes life-changing repairs and renovations to homes of those in need. The group is known for building ramps to accommodate those with handicaps and similar projects. Work continues throughout the year, Thursdays through Saturdays.
Gardening/Outdoor Projects Contact Ben Howells for more information: (765) 759-6026; email@example.com
- Muncie Clean and Beautiful organizes activities to make Muncie more beautiful. Its Adopt-a-Block program encourages and supports people to pick up trash in designated areas. The group promotes and sponsors the White River Clean-up several times a year.
- Urban Gardening Committee is a new organization designed to promote working together to encourage community gardening and to provide needed tools and information necessary to accomplish the goal.
- Community Gardens are popping up all over the Delaware County. Help is needed to prepare the soil, plant, weed, and harvest the produce. Volunteers are also needed to help to distribute excess produce to organizations that serve the community.
- Angels on High Preschool needs landscaping assistance including spring cut back of old plants and replanting new items plus general fall cleanup. (Contact Jennifer Rice-Snow for more information: (765) 289-1826 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
On-Going Needs within HSUMC Contact Jennifer Rice-Snow for more information: (765) 289-1826 or email@example.com
- Angels on High Preschool Mystery Readers can volunteer anytime; as with most missions, you’ll ‘get’ as much as you ‘give’ in working with the little angels.
- Samaritan Fund Lunch allows you to share lunch and hospitality with people coming to the church seeking financial assistance. The group meets every other Tuesday from 12-2 in the church parlor. Come chat with and serve our guests, and/or make lunch or provide dessert for 24.